Sunday, September 2, 2012

? - Chapter 41


“You’re quite the sight on sore eyes,” said the Dragon amiably, seating himself across from his prisoner. The others had left on their own business, and it was now only the two men in the spacious room. “I suppose several punches and a stiletto heel can do that to a man, even one as yourself.” His prisoner spat out blood in contemptuous response.
It was true, however. Damian North was quite the poor sight. His cheekbones were starting to swell; his eyes were slowly starting to turn a deep, ugly purple; and blood dripped and dried from the cut that ran from the top of his eyebrow to his jaw.
“I’m surprised even Ms. Scorpion joined in on the greeting,” continued the Dragon. “But then again, you did essentially kill her father.” He chuckled. “I was definitely not expecting her to use the hidden blade inside her stiletto to slice your face. It is suitable of her; an elegant and discreet way to maim someone.”
“Ever the businessman,” said Damian, for the first time since he was brought into the room. “Charging your own colleagues to beat me up.”
“What can I say? When opportunity knocks, I take the chance.”
“Must you use such cowardly methods to contain me?” He tried the chains and metal binding him. “It appears like the almighty Dragon is frightened of me, so frightened that he won’t let any of my limbs loose.”
“I am no idiot, Damian,” said the Dragon. “I have underestimated you before, I am not repeating the same mistake.” He unsheathed a knife from his pocket, a hunter’s knife, the one used to skin animals. “How easily I could kill you right now,” he mused quietly. “Just slit your throat open, or maybe your wrists? I wonder what would be more pleasant to watch. There’s nothing stopping me from doing it right here and right now.” His smile was cold, his eyes on the verge of madness. “But then, it would spoil all the fun.”
“Well then, if I’m going to die eventually by your hands, I guess you could answer some questions I have,” Damian said. He displayed no fear, not even a slight twitch in his eye.
The Dragon chuckled. “I guess that’ll kill the time. Fire away, my good man.”
“What is your incentive?” asked Damian.
“You’re getting old, Damian,” replied the Dragon. “I would’ve thought you knew that already.”
“I have a hunch, but I’d like to hear it from you.”
“Revenge, old man. Pure, simple, revenge. Next question.”
“Why did you get Theo involved with this? She’s merely a child.” Damian’s rage bubbled to the surface for a moment, and just as suddenly, it disappeared under his cool mask.
“She’s no longer a child, if your eyes haven’t noticed. She’s a young woman 19 years of age. And I didn’t bring her in, my son did. She had plenty of opportunities to escape.” He yawned. “I’m getting tired of 20 questions, but I suppose I have enough energy to answer a few more.”
Damian took a moment to ponder. Then he asked, “Where are you getting your resources?”
“Lots of money from my earlier days, and an interesting sponsor that is quite invested in this.”
“What do you mean, invested in this?”
“Why, this sponsor gave me money in order to kill you. He’s given me all the information I’d ever need to know about you. That way I can kill you as intimately as possible.” He smiled. “I was paid millions of dollar, my dear rival, to finish you off. Who knew that you could create enemies out of people so close to yourself?”
“Who is this man, that has paid you enough to kill me?” He was dreading the name, but he was certainly not prepared for what he would hear next.
The Dragon stood up and leaned in close, his lips nearly touching Damian’s ear. Then, in a whisper no louder than a breath, he uttered the name of Damian’s betrayer.
And all Damian could say in response was, “It can’t be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment