Sunday, September 23, 2012

T.N - Chapter 54


I was glad that I kept the golf club from when Grandfather tried to teach me to play. I had kept it under the bed where it collected dust and was totally forgotten about it until I was knocked over by the sudden blast. When I regained my grounds, there it was laying besides me. It was small yet heavy enough to deal a knockout blow, useful for efficiently dealing with insane and violent older brothers.
I watched as Charlie expertly maneuvered the helicopter over to the window. I was going to have to ask him how he learned to control one of those things. From the little I knew it was a Justice League stealth helicopter, and the most recent model of it to boot.
He got as close as possible to the building without the blades and engines hitting the wall. There was a considerable gap between the end of my window and the edge of the helicopter, but it was jumpable. I motioned for Kent and Dennis to get on ahead of me, and they did. They easily leaped across the gap and moved to the back of the helicopter.
I heard the footsteps outside start to head towards my door. There was a collective murmur, and then pounding came on the door. I knew I had to work quickly. I looked at Kyle, who was still unconscious and flat on his face. I grabbed the sheets off my bed, and ripped a few strips from them. I swiftly used one of the strips to tie his hands together, and another to tie his feet. Then, in case he woke up, I gagged him with the remaining strip. The pounding at the door got louder, and so did the murmuring.
“Open up the door!” someone demanded.
“Before someone gets hurt!” yelled another.
I dragged the prone figure of Kyle into the closet and shut the door. Someone would find him sooner or later. I went over to the window, and being smart, I looked down. The gap suddenly looked larger, and I wavered at jumping. My bedroom door slammed open, and Justice League men started flooding in.
I swallowed hard, and leaped. The floor of the helicopter met my feet to my relief, and I sat down next to Charlie. I buckled myself in, and glanced over at the bedroom. Some of the men were running full speed towards the window frame, while others were pulling out various weapons.
“Go, go, go!” I nearly yelled at Charlie, and he obeyed, He pulled the throttle forward, and the helicopter sped away. I collapsed onto the back of my seat in relief.
“Hey, what’s with the red prints on your neck?” asked Charlie, looking over at me. “Are you al—?“
“I’m fine,” I interrupted. “It’s nothing.” Kent and Dennis didn’t say anything, getting the message that the topic was 100% off-topic at the moment. “Anyways, where’s the notebook?”
“In my pocket,” he said, pulling it out and handing it to me.
“Wait a minute…you were the ones that stole my notebook!” exclaimed Kent, and he opened his mouth to unleash a barrage of scolding.
“Not now,” I said. “It’ll all become clear soon enough.” I opened up Kent’s notebook to the page he had jotted down where Grandfather was. “Head 4° 23’ N, 173° 8’ W, and we have to go fast,” I said. “God knows what kind of trouble will be headed straight on our heels.”

No comments:

Post a Comment