Saturday, September 15, 2012

T.N - Chapter 50

*we've reached Chapter 50!!! Yay!!!*

So Charlie did end up having to use a paperclip, and I guess he was satisfied with that. If he was anyone else, he would’ve been quite smug, but this was Charlie. I think he would question why anyone would be smug about the whole paperclip and safe thing.
“Got it,” he said, and the second door of the safe clicked open. We both peered in. I picked up the various books and documents on the bottom of the safe and flipped through them. There was his passport, his wallet, old notes in the twelve year old me’s handwriting about how to construct various types of explosives, and a couple of probably classified government letters and documents that would probably get me in a whole lot of trouble. Finally, I found the moleskine notebook that Kent almost always had on him. I guess that he decided to put it in the safe for the moment, since Kyle was now directly in charge of the mission. I pocketed the moleskine while Charlie replaced all the stuff I had taken out into a neat pile. We shut the safe doors, and I was relieved that this had gone much smoother than I thought it would. Of course, it was a little too early to be thinking that.
As Charlie and I were walking towards the closet door, we heard the doorknob to the den move and a collective murmuring start. I quickly grabbed Charlie’s wrist without thinking and dragged him into the closet. I shut the door as quietly as I could, and then leaned against it to hear what the people were saying. “Why are we staying here?” he asked a little too loudly for my comfort, so I placed my arm around his neck, pulled his head down, and clamped his mouth shut with my hand. I started listening intently to what the people in the room were saying.
“Mr. Kyle, sir,” said a muffled voice that sounded like Kent, “If we’re going to wait to see what the kidnappers have in plan for Mr. North, why do you need the information about where the hiding place is located?” There was an interesting (and rather unpleasant) emphasis on the sir.
“Do not ask questions of me, Kent,” said Kyle in a haughty and strict tone that cut clearly through the door. “I am in charge, so instead of wasting time questioning my decisions, just obey my commands. Otherwise, some unpleasant things may happen. You do understand, Kent, right? You’re not dumb.”
“Of course, Mr. Kyle,” Kent replied rather meekly. I grit my teeth in dismay. Kyle would never act like this when Grandfather was around! The new power of position he has is getting to his head.
I heard some noises, and then the robotic voice of the safe giving its approval. I heard the click of the key as Kent opened the second door. Then…silence.
“Kent,” asked Kyle in a low, quieter voice. “Where is the notebook?”
“I’m not sure, sir,” stammered Kent. “I swear I put it in here. And no one knows the password except me. Not even Mr. North knows…”
“I have a feeling I know who it is, though I have little idea on how she managed. Kent, accompany me to my brat of a sister’s room and check if she’s there. It would be impossible for her to know we’re coming, and she can be easily caught off-guard.”
I didn’t wait to hear Kent’s reply. “Charlie,” I hiss. “Do you know the way back?” Since my hand was still over his mouth, he nodded. “Ok, we’ve got to run as fast as we can, so just guide me back to my room!”
We push open the panel in the back of the closet, and he shoots off like a lightning bolt. I follow him as best as I could, and we burst into my room. I nearly trip over him, as he had suddenly stopped in front of me.
“Where’s Dennis?” he asked. “He’s suddenly disappeared.”
I see a dot of yellow on the blue bed cover, and I quickly snatched it up. It was in Dennis’s blocky handwriting. “Go to the helipad,” I read out loud. “Secret passageways wise, it’s one right, up the stairs, then two lefts, and another flight of stairs.”
I heard footsteps approach my door, and a knock resounded. “Theodora,” said Kyle. “I hope you’re decent because we’re coming in.”
“I’m in the middle of changing, idiot! Wait a second!” I yelled back. I quickly shoved the moleskine and the note from Dennis at Charlie. “Quick, take this up to the helipad. The instructions are on that note,” I hissed. “Go before Kyle and Kent get in here! Run like the wind!”  
“Will sure do,” he said, and in a blink, he was already inside the passageways. I managed to shut the door behind him just as Kyle and Kent opened up my bedroom door.
“Well, my darling sister,” said Kyle, closing the door behind him. “We were wondering if you had any secret mischievous behaviour you need to tell us about. Have you seen any notebooks lately?”

No comments:

Post a Comment