Saturday, September 22, 2012

C.N. - chapter 53

So I emerged from the ground at the far end of the field of Theo's backyard. As the hovercraft rose out of the ground, the huge circular sliding panels of the exit shaft begin to close. I looked to my left and could see Theo's house.
There was a helicopter on the roof of Theo's house and a person (very small from where I was) was standing beside the helicopter. He seemed to be gazing in my direction too. I hope I didn't make too big of a racket with the hovercraft rising out of the underground cavern. Just as I thought of this, some twenty people poured out of the back entrances of Theo's house and began running over this way. I guess I was making a whole heck lot of noise and I felt quite guilty.
I looked at the controls and found the throttle. I wrapped a hand around it and pushed it forward, the hovercraft moved forward slowly, parallel to the house. I saw that the people coming out of the house stopped some ten or twenty yards from where I was hovering above the ground in this batman-plane lookalike. I decided to go over there and tell them what I found and then land the craft on the roof if I could so I could give Dennis (who was probably the guy on the roof) the notebook Theo told me to give him. I turned the hovercraft ninety degrees in midair with the throttle and guided it forward towards the house.
Interestingly, the people on the ground below me started to run away in the opposite direction. How strange.
I continued to inch slowly towards Theo's house, I have found a button in the upper left instrument panel of controls labeled 'stealth mode'. I activated stealth mode because I thought the noise was probably what's driving all the people in the backyard away. So I canceled out the noise, that's better.
Then I realized that the hood of the cockpit could be opened while I was moving the hovercraft, so I opened it and it felt like speeding in a sports car with the hood down. Wind gushed mightily around me, stirred by the four engines of the hovercraft, but I didn't hear anything, because stealth mode was on.
I moved as close to the house as I dared without ramming into the wall. An idea came to mind that I should show Theo this cool thing I found below her house before going to Dennis on the roof, so I tried to look through the third floor windows, but the sunlight had tinted all of them, and I couldn't see anything through them.
I wondered if there was a klaxon on the hovercraft; I could alert Theo that way. I didn't find one, but I did find a button on the top right instrument panel filled with buttons. The buttons where all categorized under 'attack', and this particular button was labeled 'sonic blast', which I deduced to be equivalent to a klaxon. I pressed it.
All the windows on the third floor exploded.
I blinks, not registering the shock of it all. What was that?! I thought out loud.
Just so it happens, the window directly facing the hovercraft was Theo's bedroom window. Without the glass or the panels remaining over the wide broken window, I could see Dennis in the doorway, just getting up from the ground (he wasn't on the roof?), I could also see Kyle, flat on his chest and flailing his arms like a fish-out-of-water, and then Theo emerged from behind her bed.
'Sorry!' I stood up and called out.
There was some silence, and then Dennis, Theo and Kyle (who had flipped over onto his back and was staring befuddled at me like Dennis and Theo) rubbed their eyes with their knuckles simultaneously. They finished rubbing and blinked a few times each.
'Holy Crap!' Dennis said.
'Holy Shit!' Theo exclaimed.
'Holy fuck!' Kyle shouted.
'Holy holy holy!' Mr. Kent's head appeared from behind the doorway too, his jaw dropped.
'Sorry, again.' I said.
Theo was the first to break her gaze from the hovercraft I was in. She picked up a golf club silently and crept over to where Kyle lay, still staring trance-like at me. Before I could tell Kyle that Theo was raising a golf club suspiciously behind him, she cracked the club on his head and he was knocked out cold. I covered my mouth with a hand in surprise (this was a whole new level of sibling rivalry!).
Because the hovercraft was still in stealth mode, I could hear rapid footsteps and shouting echoing from the hallway outside Theo's room. Theo ushered Mr. Kent and Dennis into her room and shut the door.
Pausing for a moment, Theo called to me, 'Come closer, we're getting on!'

No comments:

Post a Comment