Wednesday, September 19, 2012

T.N - Chapter 52


I locked eyes with Kyle, and gave him a little smirk. “What would ever make you think that?” I asked him.
“You’re the only one with a motive in the house right now. Stop playing games, we need that notebook,” replied Kyle just as coolly as usual.
“How would you single me out of everyone that has been in and out of this house?” I asked. “Considering your lack of security, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was stolen by the same people who trashed Grandfather’s den. It could’ve been Wolf’s men, or Vulture’s men. Must I remind you about how if Charlie wasn’t there that the bomber would’ve escaped?”
“And how exactly is that my fault?” he asked.
“You decided to choose the burliest men out of all the Justice League. If you were smart enough, you would’ve chosen strong yet agile agents.”
“You are still so young, you wouldn’t understand my choices. You don’t know a thing about the world. You’re still caught up in the naïve and untainted ideals so many children hold,” he smirked. “Grandfather adores you because you’re an innocent child, so easy to control.”
I could feel the corner of my mouth twitch in irritation. In some ways, I was used to this type of abuse, but this is the first time he’s brought Grandfather into our arguments. It made me surprisingly very angry.
“Jealous, are we?” I sniped, and Kyle’s smirk fell. “Afraid that I’ll steal your rightful inheritance of the company from you?”
Within seconds, Kyle was directly in front of me, his hand gently placed around my neck. There was enough pressure so that I couldn’t move, but not so much that I was choking. It was a threat for sure. Kent coughed, and Kyle turned his head as if he just remembered that he was there. Kyle waved his hand, and Kent left the room quite reluctantly, constantly looking back. As soon as it was just the two of us, my insane brother quickly snapped his attention back to me.
“Don’t be mistaken, my dear sister,” he sneered at me. “You’re a disgrace to the family. You’re too hardheaded to obey Grandfather’s wishes to get married and settle down. You’re too reckless to act like a normal girl, let alone one of good birth.”
He squeezed my neck just enough to cut my air off. Alarm bells started ringing in my head; I had never seen Kyle act like this before. I tried fighting back, but lack of oxygen and panic made me lose concentration. He chuckled at my flailing attempts to free myself, and brought his face inches from mine.
“You know, you’ll never be worthy of the North family name,” he hissed. Kyle dropped me in disgust. I fell onto the floor, trying my best not to wheeze as air flooded into my lungs again. I looked up at him through clouded eyes.
“You’re one twisted bastard,” I spat, and got up to my feet.
“You don’t know half of it,” said Kyle. “Not even close.” He started for me again, and I swung my fist out. He caught it easily, and smirked again. “Too slow,” he remarked. He twisted my arm around my back and I cried out from the searing pain that shot up my arm. He slid his hand up my neck again, and I involuntarily wince.
I heard a mechanical click, and a familiar voice said, “Let her go, Kyle.” He let go of my neck, but kept my arm where it was. I saw whom the voice belonged to. It was Dennis, aiming a gun at Kyle’s head.
“What has the world come to?” asked Kyle melodramatically. “Brothers and sisters go against each other now?”
“Stop the shit Kyle,” Dennis said, the first time I’ve ever heard him use such a dangerous tone in his voice. “Let Theo go and it’ll all work out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment