Friday, August 31, 2012

T.N - Chapter 40


I don’t even know how I managed to convince everyone that the secret passage was just a ventilation duct, but I did. I thought the gig was up when the Justice League man kept on asking questions a bit too close to the truth. However, everyone was persuaded that it wasn’t a secret passage, and I heard much grumbling about Charlie disrupting his or her busy schedule.
Kent being Kent, he was absolutely persistent in knowing every last detail about the secret passage. After I made sure that no one else was around (I know he said that everyone had left, but I double-checked), I told him everything: the different rooms, the mechanical clicks, and the computer that was connected to Grandfather’s homing device. He nodded sagely, and gave me one of his rare smiles.
“Now what were the co-ordinates again?” he asked. I recited them off the top of my head. He jotted them down on one of the various documents strewn across the floor. I had sat at the computer, reading the numbers until they were printed into my mind.
“Great,” he said. “I will get preparations done. In the meanwhile, however, I think you should prepare for Ms. Selene’s birthday party. It is tomorrow, and you still haven’t picked out a present for her, or a dress. You know that this is an important event, Theo.” His voice slipped into a more scolding manner; the one I was familiar with at a young age. When my family isn’t around, Kent still calls me Theo. In fact, he was the one who came up with the nickname when I was young, as I hated my long (and rather pompous sounding) name. Kyle and Mother thought that he’s being too familiar when he calls me Theo, so he never calls me that when they’re around.
“Thanks for reminding me,” I said. Selene’s birthday bash…just a protocol that would be over in a day. After that, I would be free to help Kent and the League to get Grandfather back from the Dragon’s clutches.
“But,” said Kent, “I think you should stay with your friends in the household while me and the men go after the boss.” He said this in a rather regretful tone.
“What?” I asked, surprised. “You know I’m perfectly capable of coming along!”
“I know,” he said, “that you’re more than capable. But this is a dangerous man we’re going after, and who knows what tricks he has up his sleeves? Besides, you’ll need to stay to take care of the household, in case Gable decides to attack the house while I’m away.”
“Why can’t Kyle do it? I know he was stupid with the security and everything, but if he knows that there’s an immediate threat, maybe he’ll wizen up!” I knew I was desperate to go. I was even making excuses for my brother’s actions just so I could go.
“Kyle doesn’t know,” he said simply.
I was taken aback. “He doesn’t know? But surely Grandfather told him—“
“The boss told him that he was going on an urgent business trip. In fact, he doesn’t know that you had been kidnapped a few days ago. He’s ignorant.” Kent sighed and shook his head. “Now you know why you have to stay at home?”
I thought it over for a bit. Once the party is over, I could convince Kent that it would be wise to bring me, and that the house would be perfectly safe if we update Kyle about it. As the future head of the company and the Justice League, it would be best if he knew about this situation. Of course, if I wanted to go, I’d have to be the perfect child for the next day or so. At least to his point of view.
I nodded, and Kent’s mouth quirked up a bit. “I’ll leave you to it, I have to go start planning with the rest of the League. We are pressed for time.” He opened the door, and then stopped. “Promise me that you’re not planning anything behind my back, Theo.”
“I can’t promise anything, you know that. You taught me to never keep promises that could easily be broken,” I smiled charmingly.
He let out a short bark of a laugh. “All right then,” he said, and left the room.
I heard the sound of flipping pages behind me. I was a little startled, and then remembered that Charlie was still here. He was entirely enraptured with Kidnapped. And then I remembered the huge crowd that greeted me as I got out of the secret passage, and got a little mad at him.
“Charlie,” I said, taking the book out of his hands and shutting it. “What on earth—“
I heard a click before I could finish coming from the wall opposite the passageway before I could start my lecture. I was there in a few strides, looking carefully at the wall. I placed my hand and traced along the side, and then near the baseboard. I felt my fingers push into a small, neatly cut hole at the baseboard, placed just so that it was unnoticeable.
My blood ran cold. “Well,” I said out loud. “Appears we have another mole.”

No comments:

Post a Comment