Thursday, July 5, 2012

T.N - Chapter 31


By the time I reached where the Dragon was standing just moments ago, he was already up in the helicopter and rushing away. I guess Charlie didn’t need to suggest we sort it out with rock paper scissors, or for Kent to tell us to back off. I could only stare helplessly at the fugitive escaping with Grandfather. Heathcliff and Charlie hovered behind me nervously, not quite sure as to how I’d react.
Honestly, I felt like punching someone. Preferably the Dragon, but as he’s gone, I’d have to hold it in. I looked up at the blameless blue sky, and fought to hold in tears.
Heathcliff put a hand on my shoulder, and I snapped myself out of it. I shook him off and headed over to the group of Grandfather’s men. They moved away respectfully, keeping their eyes averted. They probably saw how furious I was, even if that anger wasn’t directed exactly at them.
I saw Wolfgang getting medical attention, and so I walked over to him. Wolfgang was still unconscious, and his breathing was shallow. “How is he?” I asked the doctor, who was bandaging Wolfgang’s wound. My makeshift bandage was looking scraggly.
“He’ll survive,” replied the doctor, not looking up from his work. “He’s lucky; the bullet went into the muscles and just missed the lungs. Just short of a miracle, if you ask me.”
I sighed in relief, and the anger flooded out of me. I sat down besides Wolfgang’s prone figure and pushed aside the dark curls plastered on his forehead. “You idiot,” I said softly, “I could’ve taken care of myself.” Even though I only had platonic feelings towards Wolfgang, I could see that he was merely lost. He had his world turned around in a matter of days. And although I don’t wish to be married, and I can’t imagine myself loving him in the same he does, I want to be able to guide him back.
I stood back up, and turned to find Heathcliff looking at me with a tinge of something in his normally dreamy blue eyes. “I thought you didn’t like him that way,” he said, with an accusing tone.
“I don’t, trust me. It’s merely friendly,” I assured him. I saw the glint disappear, replaced by a beaming smile.
“But,” I said, with a little wave to cut off whatever he was about to say. “That doesn’t mean you put your moves on me. I feel the same way towards you as I do Wolfgang, and I don’t appreciate pushiness.”
Heathcliff’s smile fell, and he nodded his head solemnly. “I understand,” he said, and that was the most serious I’ve ever seen him. “I will help you get back your grandfather, whatever it takes. I owe a lot to him.”
“Thanks,” I said. Those words meant a lot to me.
I looked out at the sky again. Grandfather wouldn’t have gone to a dangerous situation without something to fall back on. It was like a game he would play with me when I was little, where he would go hide somewhere and leave clues that only I could find. Perhaps he left something at his home…
I was shaken out of my thoughts by a tap on my shoulder. I found Charlie when I turned around. “I know I probably don’t fit in, and I’m not useful, but…” he looked sheepish.
“But?” I asked, urging him to continue on.
“Could I come along with you guys? I mean, you don’t have to but this is the biggest adventure I’ve ever had since I ended up getting lost in the woods near our farm when I was 5.”
“Don’t you have someone waiting for you at home? Your sweetheart?” I asked, concerned. “You know this’ll be dangerous.”
He shrugged. “This is a once in a lifetime experience. Plus, I guess I’m an ok fighter, so I’m not complete dead weight.”
I laughed, the first time in awhile. “That’s true,” I said, and I turned towards Grandfather’s men. They looked at me with a bit of fear in their eyes. “We’re going back home,” I told them. “We have a rescue to plan out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment