Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Intermission pt 4- Chapter 31 and who even cares anymore?

They all snap out of it. "It was nothing," says Kaya.
"Nothing you'd understand, considering your IQ," adds Theo. The others nodded their heads in agreement. Kaya finds a bench (which has suddenly appeared behind them, much to their confusion), and sits down, tired from standing and talking to mostly idiotic people for three chapters. If you've ever done it before, you'll understand how she feels.
"It's nice having a break," says Dennis. "After being transported over long distances with a blindfold, surviving a shoot-out, and discovering I have an entire family I never knew about, I think just taking it easy is a relief."
"Don't get me started on what I went through in the course of three days," sighs Theo, shaking her head.
"I wonder how long this break will be. I mean, have we all suddenly gotten a break from our life at the same time?" asks Kaya, her curiosity piqued. "What were you guys doing right before this?"
"I was on my way to plan my grandfather's rescue," says Theo.
"Like I said before, I was discussing the legitimacy of a family tree with Raymond and Kenny in a cabin in the woods," says Dennis.
"And then you suddenly all show up here?" The others nod. "That's an interesting coincidence," remarks Kaya.
"I wonder..." says Theo. She sits down as well, and leans back against the back of the bench. "If Charlie was here, I'd think he'd say something about how maybe there's something otherworldly controlling us. Something silly like that. But what would that mean?"
"Here's an idea," says Dennis, and the others turn to him. "What if our entire world was, well, made up? It would explain how Kaya comes from a different time, how we all show up here suddenly and inexplicably, and how random ghosts show up. Only someone who's behind the scene could make a crazy world like this, and a writer is the craziest creator I can think of."
"It could also be some sort of movie producer," inputs Kenny.
"Ghosts?" asks Raymond, ignoring Kenny.
"Like we said, nothing. Ignore that part," says Kenny, shutting him up for a few moments. Raymond opens his mouth to speak again.
"You mean, we'd be nothing more than words on a page? And our entire life is at the whim of some sort of madman? I'm above that, I'm sure. No one would be able to create such a fine specimen as myself just by writing."
"Stop it, before I kick you again," says Kaya, giving him a threatening look.
Raymond complies. "I don't need to add onto the bruises I received from Karla dropping a bazooka on me and your violent foot," mumbles Raymond.
"If it makes any sense, I think it's the most logical reason," says Theo, crossing her legs and pondering. "I certainly don't think it was some sort of scientific phenomena that brought us together at the exact same time. If I'm correct, we all live not just in different time periods, but also different geographic areas. And I certainly don't believe in a man in the sky."
"So let's say we all belong to our own stories," says Dennis, slightly pleased that the others are going with his idea. "Why would our authors decide to bring us together?"
Kaya rummages around in her bag and brings out her tablet. "In my experience as a writer," she says while searching through it, "I like to have fun with my characters from different projects. If I'm stuck at a point and I don't know where to go, or I need to get to know my characters better, I just place them in an interesting situation and work with that. Like this," she holds up her tablet, and showing a preview of a short piece of writing with some interesting conversation between very different characters.
"I have to say, this isn't a very interesting situation to begin with," says Theo. "What could possibly happen in a park like this?"
"I met my ally, and later my admirer in a park, who without I wouldn't have been able to save the world," says Kaya, bristling slightly. "Plenty can happen in a park."

No comments:

Post a Comment