Friday, June 8, 2012

T.N - Chapter 16


“Congratulations, I say, congratulations, boy, you've just bought you and your friend and my son's fiancée some more time, well done,” said the Dragon, much to my shock. I’m surprised the Dragon let us off. For a man with a bloodthirsty reputation, he isn’t really known as a man who would give you a “Get Out Of Jail” card for free. And yet somehow, the infamous Dragon is letting us go.
I knew he only said some time, but it was enough to start thinking of a way to get myself, Charlie and Heathcliff out of this situation again. I was tempted to leave Heathcliff behind for all of the annoying things he would say, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I’ve known him since I was 6 and he was 8. Even at the time, he was quite idiotic, absolutely obsessed with fairytales and being the “Prince” in every game we played. I suppose my dislike of overbearing suitors started from that childhood trauma of being forced into acting out his little fantasies straight from the huge encyclopedic book of fairytales he had.
I was snapped out of reminiscing when the Tiger burst out into some sort of childish fit. “How dare you! You just leave me, with absolutely no warning, expecting me to step into your shoes when our training wasn’t even complete!”
The Dragon shook his head. “You should always be ready my boy. What if I had really died? You would never have been able to take over the business.” The Dragon’s voice slid into icy tones, and the Tiger immediately stopped his tantrum.
“I don’t need to take up every single inch that your rather large shoes left,” the Tiger stated. “I have our money behind, plus my fiancée’s. Haven’t you realized who she is?”
The Dragon turned his attention to me, and I could feel the blood drain from my cheeks. Within a few strides, the Dragon was in front of me, inspecting my face. “Ah, if it isn’t the young North heiress. How nice to see you’ve made friends with my boy, especially coming from my arch-enemy’s family.” He took my chin in his hands and raised my face. “I do wonder if you’re a spy.”
“Ask your son. He’s the one who kidnapped me. I had no arrangement in this what so ever,” I scoffed. “From what I heard, that’s something you taught him, hmm?”
“Ooh, feisty girl.” He let go of me, and I felt a shudder climb up my arm. “Much like your mother, I must say,” he said to the Tiger. From the sudden and subtle shift in the Dragon’s facial expression, it seemed like she wasn’t in the picture anymore. He sighed heavily. “I guess we must be going now.” He and some of his own men (probably terrorists) started walking towards some vehicles.
“Wait, the warehouse is the other way,” pointed out the Tiger.
“Who says we’re going to the warehouse?” replied the Dragon. “That place is old, and if someone so idiotic and naïve like this boy can figure out how to get here, we won’t be safe there. We’re going to my place.”
“You mean we’re going into the mountains or something?” asked Charlie innocently. He didn’t seem to have understood that the previous comment was aimed at him.
I just looked at him in some mix of shock and awe. For a guy my age, how stupid and green could he be? You don’t ask that type of questions to a man known for fraud, murder, escaping prison and hanging out with terrorists!
The Dragon just chuckled, to my relief. “Yes, I suppose you could say that youngster. It’s much safer there.”
“I need to go back to get my stuff!” exclaimed the Tiger.
“We don’t have time, Wolfgang Sebastian! Now listen to your father and come along!” snapped the Dragon.
“Yes, father,” muttered the Tiger…or should I say, Wolfgang. He shuffled towards the vehicles.
I paused to think for a second. Wolfgang Sebastian…why did that seem so familiar? 

No comments:

Post a Comment