Monday, June 18, 2012

C.N. - chapter 18

So Wolfgang Sebastian was the young man's name? It's a handsome name, times two, I thought it even surpassed Heathcliff's name in handsomeness. If Mr. Dragon had named his son Wolfgang and Sebastian, I wondered if his own name were even more handsome (in addition to Dragon of course). 
Mr. Dragon and Wolfgang were having an argument about how to get to Mr. Dragon's place, and Theo and Heathcliff were speaking in hushed tones about her cellphone. It was a really neat looking cellphone, metallic and smooth; imagine a silver pop-tart, it looked something like that. I thought I would ask Theo later if I can have a cellphone like hers, and find out how much it will cost (I still had a grand, so I thought I could afford to own something stylish; rich people always carry the stylish stuff).
I thought it would be interesting to hear how rich fathers and sons engage in serious conversations, so I stood close to Mr. Dragon and Wolfgang to hear what they have to say to each other.
'Father, the helicopter I have is a stealth and completely silent, if we're planning to go into the mountains especially, I don't see why my aircraft is not the best possible option.'  Wolfgang said.
'Listen, boy, stealth aircraft is the most unreliable of a flying machine ever conceived in the history of aviation, no aircraft is completely invisible, not to mention on radar. I always thought you lacked experience, and I wasn't wrong.' Wolfgang opened his mouth to object, and Mr. Dragon cuts him off, 'Don't argue with me, boy! This is coming from the man who spearheaded the failed bombing of the parliament, I once thought a stealth aircraft can crash into the parliament undetected until the last moment when it would be too late to stop it, but it wasn't so! The air force got that plane along with those suicide bombers before the plane even flew halfway to its destination! I spent my own money training those bombers, you know how much effort it took to make them believe in the afterlife so they won't chicken out? If any of those bombers snitched after that capture I would be history, I had to hire more men just to snuff them all! It was all effort for nothing thanks to some stealth that never was. Can you now see why I never trust a stealth aircraft?'
Wolfgang did not have an argument for this point. Mr. Dragon fixed a stare on Wolfgang until their eyes met, and he said, 'One day, through failure and success you might begin to make informed decisions, but what I'm trying to do now is steer you in the right path.'
'So where were you the last few years when I needed you?' Wolfgang said, their eyes met again.
'Are you absolutely sure you cannot see the blatant answer to that question right in front of you?' Mr. Dragon said in a whisper, I almost didn't make out what he said.
'How can I?' Wolfgang replied, in a whisper.
'Son, do you think visiting me in prison for the rest of my life is better than having me not visit you at all?'
Wolfgang saw the sense in this statement before I did, and he knew he had lost the argument.
Just as well, Mr. Dragon found someone else to talk to just that moment. One of the henchmen snatched Theo's cellphone away and Mr. Dragon said, 'Give it to me.' He took the phone and regarded it in admiration and put it to his ear. 'Why hello, Damian. Talking to you brings so many memories back. How are you?' He said in a delighted voice with a million dollar smirk on his face.
'What? You flatter me, Damian! Oh stop that, you're making me blush.' He listens for some time, 'Yes, yes, you do remember Sebastian, don't you? He's chosen a good pseudonym for himself, the Tiger, yes, he's here too, it will just be like old times, our children over at my place playing their games while we discuss business over tea, shame you can't join us this time.' Damien said something from the other end of the line, Mr. Dragon replied, 'You will? Why that's simply marvelous, it's decided. If you can catch me again this time, I'll be delighted to give them back and come along myself, it's about time soon that I retire anyway, and I'd hate to retire without a lot of people to take care of me. Hello? Hello? Are you still listening?' Mr. Dragon took the phone away from his ear and disconnected the line. He said to Theo and Heathcliff and Wolfgang, 'That was an excellent chat, your grandfather did not change one bit, still a man to be admired! I hung up because it appeared he was having a heart attack at the other end, I'll leave him be, if not we could have chatted a little longer.' For an instant Mr. Dragon was in a moment of peace and reminiscence and there was a smile on his face. 'Well, we ought to get going, and may I say this is an marvelous cellphone!' He walked over to Theo, 'I say your grandfather has lost a few hairs but none of the genius, truly marvelous.'
Mr. Dragon walked off to one of his henchmen to talk, who said something into a walkie-talkie, and then he came back to announce, 'Alright you youngsters, the first truck in the convoy is ours, let's ride.'
'No.' Wolfgang said.
'No? What's wrong with the first truck in the convoy?' Mr. Dragon replied, in a slightly threatening voice.
'I want to ride with Theo, alone.' Wolfgang puts an arm around Theo, and before Heathcliff or Theo could object (which they looked about to do), Mr. Dragon had beaten them to it.
'You would rather spend more time with your fiance than with your dear old man?' Mr. Dragon said, amused somewhat.
'I'm nearly twenty years old, I make my own decisions.' Wolfgang said curtly. Another argument was brewing, I could sense it.
'Hey, I know what you should do!' I said, I brought Mr. Dragon and Wolfgang together, and I said, 'Rock, paper, scissors! If you (to Wolfgang) win, you can ride with Theo, alone, like you said, and if you (to Mr. Dragon) win, we ride together. Now how's that to settle the decision?'
When I heard no one say anything for a while, I looked around and found everyone looking at me with an incredulous expression on their faces.
Seeing their expressions as if to say, 'Are you for real?' I didn't know if rich people did things differently, but back home, it was always rock smashes scissors, paper covers rock and scissors cuts paper. It wasn't very complicated the way I understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment