Tuesday, August 21, 2012

T.N - Chapter 34


“What exactly happened in here again?” I asked, surveying the room that was Grandfather’s den. It was a far call from what I last remembered of it, with its neat shelves and papers piled neatly on the desk under paperweights. Instead, everything was knocked off of the shelves, the photos of me, Kyle and Dennis were smashed, and all of his documents were scattered around the floor, marked with dirt and traces of footprints. The window that looked out over the garden was smashed open, and glass glittered in the afternoon sun. I was thankful I was alone, since I needed some space to think. Heathcliff and Charlie were somewhere in the house, and Wolfgang was taking a nap in one of the several guest bedrooms.
“We don’t know for certain, Miss., but an intruder came into the office of the senior Mr. North last night,” said Kent rather calmly behind me. “I heard a noise, and thought to investigate, but by the time I came, the culprits had already left. We assume there is more than one since there are more than one pair of boot prints.”
“And they came by climbing through a fourth floor window? That’s ridiculous.”
“We think that they were possibly spies, already planted into the building. We did have people come and go. You know that is normal in this household.” Kent was starting to get a little nervous. When I was little, he was kind of my nanny, taking care of me when the family was out. Unfortunately, that meant he faced the worst of my temper, and expected me to flip out every time I got agitated.
“Don’t we always do a background check?” I asked. “Has security gone so lax?” Damn, it seems like someone is trying to sabotage Grandfather’s clues to me. Probably the Dragon. He’d be the only one to know about something like this, or at least guess at it. I’m hoped he didn’t succeed; my rescue plan relies on any clues Grandfather left behind.
“Well, Mr. Kyle said that there was no need to worry as no one had tried anything on the mansion lately. He said he needed all the help and energy he could get to help prepare for his spouse’s, Ms. Selene, upcoming birthday.”
I had totally forgotten it was nearly Selene’s birthday. Ugh, and I would have to get an expensive present because it would be “polite.” I really don’t like her. “Goddamn stupid brother…” I muttered under my breath.
“Talking about me?” asked a voice behind me. I recognized it right away.
“Kyle, you know I’m talking about you,” I replied with a smirk, and I turned around to face him.
He looked the same as always. He was 27, 8 years older than me, which he always lorded over me. Many people say we look similar, with our very dark hair and facial features that we take from Father. However, my eyes were a plain brown while his was a striking blue. Many would agree that he looks every bit the heartthrob, although I can no longer see that because of his snarky attitude. “What were you thinking? Did your brain finish processing this?” he asked. Case in point.
“I finished thinking it over a while ago. And I should be the one asking you what you were thinking. How could you let the security get so laid back here?” I poked an accusing finger into his chest.
“I was preparing for one of the biggest social events of the year,” he said. “My darling Selene’s birthday is coming up and everything must be perfect.”
“I don’t get what you see in her,” I said. “Out of all the girls you had your pick of, you chose—“
“Kyle!” I heard a high-pitched, cavity inducing voice sound down the hallway, followed by the clattering of stiletto heels. I won’t say the amount of profanity that ran through my mind at that very moment.
A blur of pink and platinum blonde flung itself into Kyle’s arms. Kyle gave a smile that would’ve stopped the hearts of other girls. “Hello, sweetheart. Did you have fun shopping?”
“Of course,” said the blur, which has slowed down to reveal Selene with her waist length bottle-bleached hair and doe-like green eyes. She was dressed in enough pink to make me gag, and her stilettos made her about the same height as Kyle. “You being there would’ve made it so much more fun,” she purred into his ear, in what she probably thought was a very seductive voice.
“You know I have lots of work to do,” he said, in a gently scolding voice. “In fact, I’m discussing something with Theo here. You’ve heard about the entire intruder thing, right?”
She turns around, seeing me for the first time. “Oh, dearest Theo, I did not see you there! I apologize! Welcome home,” she said in a sweet voice. “I’m sure your time away was pleasant?”
“Yes, very,” I replied. ‘Without you, even getting kidnapped is pleasant,’ I thought in my mind. “Now if you excuse me, I think I’m going to investigate the crime scene a little. Kyle, Kent, you can go off to do whatever. I need some time alone to think.”
“Are you sure?” asked Kyle, merely out of courtesy. I knew that he was hoping that I wouldn’t ask for his help so he could spend time with his bimbo of a wife.
“Yes. You know I work best alone, darling brother.”
He smiled, and then putting an arm around Selene, he left. A moment later, so did Kent, although a little reluctantly. As soon as they were gone, I shut the door to the den and sat down on the floor. I was going to need some Advil later; my head was killing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment