Monday, March 18, 2013

T.N - Chapter 64

-->
I had suspected that Kyle was working with the Dragon, but deep down inside I had hoped that it wasn’t the case. No matter how much an idiotic jerk he is, and his awful taste in women, he’s still my blood relative. He was regressing as time passed on, but I still couldn’t get over the shock of him betraying the family. I absentmindedly passed my hand over the red marks on my neck, and minutely shuddered at the reminder of Kyle’s face when he was choking me. He looked so...desperate and angry. It was awful seeing that expression on a face I thought I knew.
“Theo, are you alright?” I heard Laura Gable ask, piercing through my thoughts.
“Oh, yeah, I’m ok.” I immediately dropped my hand to my side. “Sorry about that. What were we discussing, exactly?”
She glanced at my neck, but didn’t say anything about it. “We were just discussing options as to what to do next. You did bring up that it was an important thing to talk about at the moment.”
“Right,” I said, inwardly sighing that she didn’t say anything about the probably still prominent marks. “So what we have come up with so far?”
“We could all go to the hideout together,” said Graham.
“And then we could split up into two different parties: one to rescue Mr. North, and the other to distract the Dragon,” said one of the Terries (I will now refer to this one as Terry 1 and the other as Terry 2).
“Another option is to split up, one to continue onto where the Union is, and one to go back to the North stronghold and deal with Kyle North,” said Terry 2.
“Don’t forget, we also have to get Wolfgang from the mansion,” pointed out Kent.
I had nearly forgotten about him, in the bustle of the last few hours. And realizing that I had left him behind to face my brother’s wrath made me feel incredibly guilty. “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Gable, it’s my fault that we left him and he might be in danger because of my brother and my actions and...”
She started laughing. “Calm down Theo, I’m sure Wolfgang can take care of himself.” She gently patted me on the head. I would’ve found that gesture normally annoyingly patronizing, but with her, it was oddly...comforting. “And no need to call me by my last name. It belongs to a woman that doesn’t exist anymore.” She gazed out wistfully for a moment, and then turned her blue-green eyes towards me. “Just call me Laura. Everybody does.”
“Unless she’s mad,” snorted Graham. “Then you’d better call her Madam.”
Laura just bemusedly raised an eyebrow at him.
“I know this isn’t really an option we brought up,” I said, “but I think we should all head over to the mansion first before we start trying to attack the hideout.”
“What do you mean? That would be a waste of time, especially if the young man you seem adamant on saving seems to be perfectly fine,” said Terry 2. “If Laura says he’s fine, I’m sure he can take care of himself.”
“He’s bedridden with a gun wound that almost killed him!” I nearly yelled. “He did it...to save me from his dad. I can’t leave him behind in that viper’s nest.” I clenched my fist. Everyone fell silent, and Terry 2 looked awkward.
“And while we’re at it,” said Dennis, saving the moment, “we can take out Kyle’s forces. That way, we’re able to focus on the Terrorist Union without having to worry about someone attacking our backs.”
I looked gratefully at my brother. He gave a perfectly sound reason as to why to go back, other than the obvious guilt I felt as to leaving Wolfgang behind.
Laura chuckled. “Well you two are certainly Damian’s grandchildren,” she said. “Clever, with a hint of overbearing pride.” She looked at her colleagues and they immediately snapped to attention.
“Let’s go, boys and girl,” she said, pointing to the truck and smiling. “Time to go kick some traitorous butts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment