Sunday, October 14, 2012

C.N. - chapter 57

Now that I had rescued Heathcliff and got myself back behind the controls, I turned stealth mode back on so the noise of the hovercraft engines weren't that loud anymore. I didn't know how Dennis managed to turn off stealth mode, or if he didn't, how stealth mode got turned off; but I didn't have time to ask him either, because I heard some very loud metal-on-metal crashes that definitely did not come from our hovercraft. I turned around just in time to see a life-sized monster truck fly over the roadside treeline and land right in the middle of road behind us. It remained there like a roadblock that materialized out of nowhere and the crash must have been some of the trucks that were chasing us T-boning into it.
The monster truck was silver and shiny, the size of three steam rollers. It looked to be armored with steel from hood to underside. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
The trucks that were chasing us (they seem puny now compared to the gigantic truck in the road) were blocked by the body of the monster truck, stopping them in their tracks. I think the appearance the enormous truck surprised the convoy in pursue as much as it did to us. Because nobody moved for some time, I had let go of the controls and put the hovercraft at hover-parking and joined everyone else at the back of the hovercraft to see what was going to happen.
Then the monster truck roared back to life, made a ninety degree turn and started to plow down the truck convoy. Effortlessly, it mounted one truck after another and crushed them all flat under its huge wheels. This was so unexpected that for a moment I thought I was watching an episode of Monster Jam. Kyle's men in the trucks scrambled out of their trucks and raised their automatic weapons to fire at the monster truck, doing no damage. Turrets extended out of several portholes that opened up on either side of the monster truck and the turrets began to blast firepower at the men now attempting to surround the monster truck, mowing them all down in a matter if less than a minute. The scene was so violent and it was happening only fifty yards away down the road, I shut my eyes and opened them again when the firing stopped.
Kyle's men lay scattered on both sides of the road, wisps of smoke rising from the bullet holes in their bodies. The monster truck was silent for some time again after this massacre, and then it began to come slowly, and then accelerating in speed, at us.
Theo was the first to realize that I wasn't at the controls anymore.
'Get back to the controls! Get us out of here!' Theo yelled, pushing me into the controls seat.
I pushed the throttle of the hovercraft with all my strength and it sped down the road. I looked behind us to see the monster truck chasing us and gaining distance every instant.
'Go up! Go up!' Theo yelled.
I raised altitude rapidly, and found the monster truck shrinking in size beneath us.
And the unbelievable happened, once more. One moment the monster truck seemed to be speeding down the road beneath us, the next moment, wings shot out of its sides, and then the moment after than, it took off from the ground.
'Mamma-mia!' Heathcliff, Dennis, Mr. Kent and I uttered in unison.
'What?!' Theo couldn't believe what she was seeing either, but she didn't day mamma-mia.
The hovercraft was still rising higher into the air. I managed to get enough sense back into me to close the pressure-lock hood so we don't go unconscious in midair.
The monster truck flew like a plane, it did a wide one-eighty degree turn and was flying upwards towards us. From my angle, it looked like the Magic School Bus in a really bad mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment